Contemplating removing Tidelift from all my projects

I have had my 100+ nuget packages on tidelift for a few years now. So far i have not had any take up. So i am contemplating removing all the pointers to tidelift. I appreciate what tidelift is trying to achieve, but is seems with the current zero ROI, it is just noise in my projects.

Thoughts? Is anyone else having this experience?

1 Like

Just curious, how are you gauging the “take up”?

As in no one, who is using my packages, has subscribed to tidelift

Yes, I figured that’s what you meant, I’m just trying to understand how you determined that?

since all my packages say “You’ve applied to lift this package. We’ll let you know when there’s income available.” in tidelift

Hey Simon, thanks so much for raising this. Thanks also for getting onboard early before we’ve fully activated our .NET ecosystem coverage and before funding has been available in that ecosystem. So far, we’ve had limited uptake on the subscriber side around .NET, but we’re working on it–in fact, that’s one of my personal priorities as Tidelift’s new lead on ecosystem strategy.

I wonder… while we’re on the subject, are there other ways you see that we could get the word out in the .NET ecosystem? This has been one of the more challenging ecosystems to ramp up in and I can’t help but think y’all might have some ideas that haven’t yet occurred to us.

Thanks,
Josh

2 Likes

You should reach out to some Microsoft MVPs

1 Like

Great suggestion, Bobby, thank you! We’re gearing up for a concerted season of outreach and I’ll fold your suggestion into those plans :slight_smile:

How do i delete all my supported packages and my profile?

Hi Simon, mind sending us an email at lift@tidelift.com? I can help you through the offboarding process.

Thanks,
Josh

What is the status of each ecosystem? Lack of communication is harming enthusiasm for this project. I am particularly interested in the Ruby ecosystem, but this will work best when many ecosystems are healthy. Please make a page / post that has the current status of each ecosystem. On my projects, which say I should have income, and say I should hear from you within days, it has been months of almost nothing.

Hi Peter,

That’s a great question, and I really appreciate the feedback. I’m pleased to say that we have significant work in flight to bring clarity to where we see subscriber usage and demand for lifters. Lifters can expect to see that land in the next three months.

But not to beat around the bush, here’s what I can tell you about ecosystem adoption right now: JavaScript, Java, and Python are the three ecosystems where we see most significant adoption amongst our subscribers. We see almost every other language we support adopted, but far less.

I look forward to sharing more as we land our current projects and build out our team to provide the timely support which all lifters deserve. (New Maintainer Advocate starts next week! :tada:)

In service,
Josh

Josh, when you told me in a January 6th email you would get back to me later that same day about my projects I was very excited. I think managing expectations would go a long ways to keep people from abandoning ship.

You’ll be hearing from me on your other ticket regarding lifting the OAuth and OAuth2 rubygems later today :o)

So I should expect essentially nothing for another few months?

Hi Peter, tough but fair. I did a poor job of setting and managing expectations, and for that I am very sorry. The response time does not appropriately reflect how important our working relationships with maintainers are.

I want to reassure you that we now have a team assigned to support requests, and a growing team assigned to applications, so this will not happen again.

You can expect to hear back from us much more rapidly than you did previously, and for response times to improve as we continue expanding our bandwidth and refining our operation.

Thanks,
Josh

1 Like