COVID-19 update: how can we help?

We’ve been closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and have taken measures to ensure the health and safety of Tidelift team members. We’re a remote-first company, so our sales team will continue to sell the product, payments will be deposited into Hyperwallet accounts on schedule, and we’ll continue to be available and responsive from our home offices (or couches).

We know this is a difficult time for everyone, and we’d like you to know that we’re here and available to help, in whatever capacity. If there’s anything we can do, please reach out either via the forum, by emailing lift@tidelift.com, or by emailing us directly.

2 Likes

I just wonder how healthcare system works in US. If an open source maintainer doesn’t have a full time job and got coronavirus, what he or she does to get treated?

You either don’t get medical treatment or you go into debt (sometimes even with insurance)

There are some less grim options, depending on your overall income and family situation. Contractors can get insurance through their spouses, for example (what I did when I was in solo legal practice) or through the federal health insurance marketplace (available, with a variety of subsidies at different price points but not great). We’ll definitely be looking to add health insurance options for American lifters as soon as we can.

For my wife and kid I pay around 600$ a month for insurance. For my son, I only pay half and I don’t have insurance myself, I have to use the VA.

With that being said, I do own a business and I’m sure that changes things.

Yeah, the whole system is an insane patchwork. No reasonable country would choose it for itself, and if/when we’re ever big enough to matter in DC and if I’m still in charge, I’ll push us to lobby for a less crazy system. In the meantime we’ll do what we can.

Prior to all of this, we looked at some of the things Uber, Lyft, and others are doing to help their American contractors, and unfortunately all the ones we’ve seen so far are only options once you have more than 10K contractors. One of these days :slight_smile: