Release notes API testing

If you automate the creation/publishing of release notes for your lifted package, or just want
to try adding release notes to a version via our new API, please help us test it out! We’re looking for the following feedback:

• Clarity of API docs
  • Ease of posting/updating release notes for a version
  • Ease of creating/managing API keys

You’ll need an API key from your lifter dashboard and you can find the documentation here.

Please let us know if you run into any issues or have any questions. Thank you!

2 Likes

I recently had the chance to test out the new API, and it worked like a charm. :grinning:

Thank you for exposing release notes via an API so that I can automate uploading those to Tidelift (though I still need to write a tool to handle that process so I don’t have to hand-craft a bash to upload a single version :sweat_smile:).

On the API documentation, I assumed the name parameter needed to be URL encoded. My packages all begin with @hutson/, an npm scope, so the name typically needs to be URL encoded before POSTing it places. During my test, I URL encoded the name, and that seemed to work fine.

Generating a token was pretty straight forward. :+1:

I POST’d release notes for a version, 3.1.1, of my package, @hutson/generator-python-library, that does not exist (It’s not a tag on the repository or published to npm), and I received HTTP/1.1 201 Created. I’m not sure what the expected behavior should be here. :thinking:

Related to that, in the UI, I’m not sure how to access release notes for versions other than the latest. :man_shrugging: I was hoping to go back and delete the invalid version release notes. :sweat_smile:

Related to that, in the UI, I’m not sure how to access release notes for versions other than the latest. :man_shrugging: I was hoping to go back and delete the invalid version release notes.

This is a really good point, and we don’t currently have this functionality. I’ll share with the team and let you know if we have any follow up questions. Thank you for your feedback!

To help automate my release note process I finally set aside the time to write a Now-compatible (No affiliation) service that receives webhook events for tags pushed to GitLab, and forwards the tag message on to Tidelift via the Release API. It should be noted that the service uses the message property of the Tag event, which is the property containing the annotation of the tag object. At this time there is no webhook event, or event data, for the Release notes themselves. That is being tracked in gitlab-ce#57997.

The code is available here for anyone to spin up their own webhook service to start auto-publishing release notes from GitLab to Tidelift.

It should be noted that the service uses the message property of the Tag event, which is the property containing the annotation of the tag object. At this time there is no webhook event, or event data, for the Release notes themselves. That is being tracked in gitlab-ce#57997.

It should also be noted that this only works for new releases. GitLab’s Tag event does not fire if you modify existing Release notes. They’re tracking that feature request in gitlab-ce#50205